No surprise to many, I’m a chocoholic.
Also, I like ice cream. Chocolate ice cream. Either plain or with other yummy things included.
These days, however, I’m also obsessed with removing sugar and processed foods from my eating regime. I’ve done pretty good. I even passed up chocolate cake for desert at Easter dinner, and didn’t even miss it. Not only did I amaze myself, but the in-laws thought I was sick.
Thankfully, there are a gazillion creative ways to make yummy, craving-satisfying treats with dark chocolate or cocoa that are okay to indulge in from time to time.
There are also a gazillion recipes out there for vegan or dairy free or diet friendly or whatever they call it ice cream. Trust me, I was very skeptical. Until last night when I *finally* broke down and made some. Not only was it insanely easy, requiring no special equipment, but it turned out like…
So, without further ado, here’s the recipe I used.
- 1 13.5 oz can Organic Heavy Coconut Cream
- 1/4 cup cocoa or cacao powder (whichever you prefer) NOT the type that contains sugar. 100% cocoa. Got it? Or cacao. There’s a difference. I’m not making that up or creating my own spelling. Google it.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 handful unsweetened toasted coconut flakes (opt.)
Put the first 4 ingredients in a bowl and blend the crap out of them until they’re nice and creamy smooth. Alternately, throw them in a blender. Your choice.
Fold in the coconut.
Taste to ensure you don’t want it sweeter, chocolatier, coconutier, or any other -er. Stir. Taste again, just to be sure. Transfer to a freezer safe container. Taste again because, who knows, the freezer safe container may alter the flavor and this is your last chance before locking it away for a while. Place a piece of cling wrap over the top of the container (Helps keep the frost off the ice cream and prevents you from stealing another taste. I warned you.) Secure lid. Freeze. Feel free to taste any time during the freezing process. You know, just in case. Try not to eat it all in one sitting.
Next time, I’m adding chunks of almond butter. Though I suppose I could just add some to my bowl as well.
Yes, I think I will.
And, as this is the blog of a writer, a small update for those interested:
- Still waiting for word on BiS. (Which adds to the stress eating and helps explain the sudden need for chocolate ice cream.)
- Completed edits on Last Time for Everything (Which Patrons may get a sneak peek at. Just saying.) and sent it off to the editor. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, it should be appearing in the anthology 3rd & Starlight scheduled for release toward the end of the year.
- Working on a couple other short stories for various things. (Also something which Patrons may get a sneak peek at.)
- Continuing to beat myself up on a daily basis for various and sundry reasons. (Which is why I’ve added morning meditation/tai chi to my schedule. I’ll let you know how that works.)
Now, go make ice cream.